NUTRITION TIPS FOR MANAGING PCOS
Diet and exercise are the important parts of managing PCOS. This is because young women with PCOS often have higher insulin levels in their blood, and many have trouble maintaining a healthy weight. Knowing the right foods to eat as well as the kinds of food to limit can improve the way you feel. It will also help you lose weight. Few tips to manage PCOS is listed below.
- Protein gives you fullness, so you will eat less
- Make sure that you have some protein at every meal anr snack
- Pulses, legumes, soy, nuts, low fat milk and curd, meat (limit), chicken, fish, egg white are good sources of protein
- Eating more fibre can help maintain blood sugar levels and lower your cholesterol
- Fibre makes you feel full and thus helps in weight control
- Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes are sourcwes of fibre
CHOOSE BETTER FATS
- Include smaller amounts of healthy unsaturated fats, which are found in vegetable oils and nuts
- Saturated and trans fat should be avoided as this will lead to weight gain, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
- Aim for a total of 2 – 3 Tbsp of healthy fats each day
FOODS TO LIMIT
- Some food cause weight gain if you eat them often, and they are given below.
- White rice, pasta, white bread, baked goods, sugary drinks, cany and chocolates, sweetened juice, canned fruit in heavy syrup and salty snacks should be limited.
- Excercise 30 minutes 5 days a week
- Start with 10 minutes of activity and work upto longer times as your body adjusts
- Excercise will reduce your abdominal fat and help to improve PCOS
Eating well, staying active and maintainig a healthy weight can improve PCOS symptoms
Uma Maheshwari PS
Dietitian, Happy Living Diet Clinic