Coconut water is a clear liquid with huge health benefits. It is a popular drink of summer seasons but also useful and available throughout the year. It is a rich source of natural energy along with enough vitamins and minerals, fibres, enzymes, amino acids with very few calories and fat. It also contains antioxidants which provide a healthy life if taken regularly.
Benefits of Coconut Water:
- It rehydrates the body very quickly.
- Enhances the immune system and reduces the risk of common cold, cough, and flu if drink every day.
- It helps to flush out toxins from the body and increases kidney function. Its high potassium content reduces the development of kidney stones by alkalizing the urine.
- Maintains fluid and electrolyte balance by maintaining fluid losses during diarrhea, dysentery and physical exercises and thus prevents dehydration and acidity.
- The cytokines and lauric acid of coconut water enhance cell growth and division and act as an anti-aging agent by reducing wrinkles.
- It also acts as anticarcinogenic and antithrombotic agent. It maintains PH level and keeps the connective tissues strong and hydrated.
- Improves low blood pressure as it is rich in magnesium and potassium.
- Its magnesium rich content improves insulin sensitivity and thus helps to reduce blood sugar i.e. Diabetes.
- Diminishes the heart attack and heart strokes by regulating blood circulation and preventing atherosclerosis formation. It also increases HDL i.e. the good cholesterol and decreases the LDL i.e. the bad cholesterol.
- It increases body’s metabolism thus helps in burning extra calories and as a result,helps in weight reduction. It is also low in calories, fat, and cholesterol which aid weight reduction.
- Due to its potassium rich content it protects against muscle cramps.
- Its high calcium content makes our bones, muscles, and tissues strong.
- It decreases anxiety, stress, and depression due to rich Vit-B content like thiamine, riboflavin and pantothenic acid.
- Acts as a diuretic and helps in urine flow.
- Helpful against many medical problems like dengue fever, heartburn, constipation etc.
- Having antioxidant in nature it reduces the harmful effects of drugs like swelling of legs and hands.
- Coconut water maintains the PH balance and also moisturizes our skin for longer hours if drank regularly else applied directly to the skin. It is good for all types of skin.
- Protects from skin problems like acne, stretch marks, scars, cellulite, eczema, blemishes, sunburn etc.
- It has antimicrobial, antiviral and antifungal property thus protects from skin infections.
- Effective against intestinal worms in children if taken daily with lime juice.
- It controls hair loss and enhances the growth by improving blood circulation to the scalp. It guards against dull and dry hair by removing dandruff and also prevents hair damage and breakage.
- It helps to relieve headaches and migraine pains.
It is not a good choice of drink for athletes due to its low carbohydrate content. If it is taken as an excess of coconut water in a day it may raise the blood sugar, blood pressure and allergies otherwise if taken wisely it is a very healthy, natural, refreshing drink.Avoid preserved coconut water with added sugar, sweeteners and flavors.