Iodine – An Essential Micronutrient
Iodine is an essential micronutrient, which is required in very minute quantities for the body. It is essential for the synthesis of a hormone produced by thyroid gland, which is situated in the neck region.
- The wide spectrum of disorders caused by inadequate iodine consumption are known collectively as Iodine Deficiency Disorders(IDD). These include:
- Lowering of IQ and impaired learning.
- Energy loss
- Reproductive losses like increased miscarriages, increased stillbirths.
- Cretinism includes Mental retardation, Deaf – mutism, Squint, Dysplegia (spastic paralysis of the lower limbs), Dwarfism, Coordination abnormalities.
- Goitre – the most visible manifestation (enlargement of thyroid gland resulting in swelling of front portion of neck).
- Reduced milk, egg, meat and wool yields in animals.
- Reproduction failure in animals.
- Deficiency of iodine in pregnant women can cause irreversible brain damage in the unborn baby.
- Iodine deficiency is the leading cause of preventable mental retardation in the world.
- Current research indicates that iodine deficiency results in lowering the average intelligence of the entire school age population by as much as 10 to 15 IQ points.
- IDD is preventable.
- Daily Consumption of iodised salt prevents the spectrum of disorders caused due to iodine deficiency.
Hence use only Iodised salt in cooking and for animal feed
Uma Maheshwari PS
Dietitan, Happy Living Diet Clinic,