Cabbage is a leafy vegetable. These leaves are low in Sodium, and very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. They provide Thaimin, Magnesium and Phosphorus in good quantities. They are also very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Folate, Calcium, Potassium and Manganese.
Functional Properties Of Cabbage:
Functional food is defined as any food or food ingredient that may provide a health benefit beyond that conferred by the nutrient the food contains. Cabbage provides the following benefits apart from its nutrients.
- Lowers cholesterol levels
- Decreases the risk of mutagenic substances in intestinal flora
- Posses antibacterial properties, hence cures blisters and bruises when applied as a paste.
- When taken as juice with sugar, can cure peptic ulcer and gastric disorders.
- Cabbage juice removes warts.
- Cabbage juice is the antidote for mushroom poisoning.
- Regular use of cabbage increases BMR.
- Good for people suffering from diabetes, fistula and liver problems.
- Cabbage juice helps to prevent the formation of patches on the walls of blood vessals and imparts strength to them.