BENEFITS OF GINGER
Ginger is a very delicious and popular spice. Ginger contains many nutrients and bioactive compounds which have many health benefits. It is a natural home remedy for many health conditions. It can be used as raw, powdered, oil, as juice, in tea, in dried spices and in recipes. It is also used in processed foods and cosmetics.
- Medicinal Nature: Ginger contains a bio-active compound gingerol which acts as a strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant property. It prevents against colon, breast, prostate, ovarian, pancreatic, liver and lung cancers and slows down DNA damage.
- Relieves Nausea: Ginger can treat nausea and loss of appetite. It is effective in morning sickness nausea, chemotherapy or surgery related nausea.
- Effective against Muscle Pain and Soreness: Ginger reduces the muscle pain and soreness.
- Anti-inflammatory Effects: Ginger extract is effective in the treatment of osteoarthritis. It reduces the pain, stiffness and inflammation of osteoarthritis.
- Improves Blood Sugar: Ginger is good for Diabetic. It lowers the fasting blood sugar level as well as HbA1C.
- Soothes Digestive System: Ginger is helpful against indigestion. It relieves stomach discomfort easily as it speeds up the gastric emptying. It also cures stomach ulcers.
- Reduces Dysmenorrhea: Ginger powder if taken during menstruation it reduces menstrual pain.
- Prevents Heart Disease: Ginger extract lowers the LDL i.e. bad cholesterol and triglyceride levels and thus reduces the risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Protects from Alzheimer’s disease: Ginger enhances brain function in the older person and is effective in improving conditions of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Fights against Infection: It boosts our immunity and also lowers the risk of respiratory infections and diseases of the gums like cough, sore throat, nose congestion, asthma, gingivitis and periodontitis.
- Checks Bacterial Infection: Few drop of ginger oil if mixed with water and have a bath with it protects against from bacterial infection.
- Checks Fungal Infection: Ginger oil if applied to the skin it protects us from fungal infections.
- Maintains our Blood Circulation: Ginger prevents from fever, chills and excessive sweating. Ginger tea is effective against the cold. It will warm up from the inside.
- Treat Headaches: It is also helpful for headaches and migraines. It is a natural pain reliever. It blocks prostaglandins to produce unbearable pain, nausea and dizziness.
- Pain Reliever: Ginger reduces a toothache immediately.
- Weight Reduction: Ginger roots keeps us satiated and help in weight reduction.
- Increases Concentration: Ginger oil improves our concentration by removing negativeness from our personality.
- Remedy against Food Poisoning: Effective against food poisoning caused by infected or stale food. It eliminates toxic substances from the body.
- Skin Benefits: Ginger juice is used in many products to improve skin’s anti-aging effects, soothing burns, clearing blemishes, acne, white scars and helps in skin toning.
- Hair Benefits: Ginger oils help in hair growth. It is effective for dry, brittle and split ends. It combats from dandruff and checks hair loss.
Many branches of treatment like herbal therapy, aromatherapy, Ayurveda, and naturopathy depend on the benefits of ginger.
Fresh gingers are better than dried. It provides good flavour. Ginger is a good ingredient for many dishes. It can be used in making biscuits, cakes, soups, non-veg items, jams and chutneys, desserts.
Ginger contains oxalate so avoid people with oxalate kidney stones.
It should not be given to children below two years of age.
It also interacts with some medications like blood thinners so consult with a physician if medication is going on.