BENEFITS OF ALOE VERA
Aloe vera is a short plant with thick pointed and fleshy leaves with stored water i.e. gels in it. The gel consists of many beneficial bio-active compounds, vitamins, minerals, amino acids and antioxidants. It is a very useful medicinal plant with several benefits.
- Aloe vera is very valuable for cosmetic, pharmaceutical and food industries.
- Cosmetic companies are using aloe vera into products like makeup, soaps, sun creams, incense, shaving cream, shampoos and moisturisers.
- In the food, industry aloe vera is used in making yoghurts, beverages and desserts. It is also used as a fresh food preservative.
- Aloe vera is a natural medicine and is used in the treatment of ayurvedic, homeopathic as well as allopathic medicines due to its rich vitamin and mineral content.
- Aloe vera enhances the recovery from burn injury by applying the gel on the skin regularly. It is also effective against sunburn and tan.
- Regular mouthwash from its juice reduces dental plaque.
- It helps to recover from mouth ulcers if applied to the affected area. It maintains a good oral hygiene.
- Aloe vera latex is used in the treatment of constipation and piles due to its high laxative effect.
- Aloe vera gel moisturises our body and also reduces wrinkles i.e. the aging sign, other skin problems like dry skin, acne, redness of the skin, radiation dermatitis and up to some extent psoriasis.
- Aloe vera controls the blood sugar in diabetics by enhancing insulin sensitivity. It also controls cholesterol levels.
- Taking aloe vera juice regularly helps in weight reduction by improving body’s absorption and utilisation of nutrients.
- Aloe vera contains pigment keratin which rejuvenates our hair by repairing dead cells of scalps. Aloe vera pack aids in hair growth by reducing dandruff and conditions our hair. It makes our hair strong, smooth and bouncy.
- Aloe vera is an anti-inflammatory herb and reduces inflammation in the body. It also heals us from external wounds and insect bites. It soothes our skin.
- Regular use of aloe vera soap reduces the stretch marks of pregnancy.
- Aloe vera is very good for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) symptoms. It also improves our digestion.
- Aloe vera removes intestinal worms from the body.
- Aloe vera enhances our immunity and thus lowers the risk of tumors and cancers.
- Aloe vera detoxifies our body naturally and eliminates the waste out from the body.
- Aloe vera juice is the easiest way to get all the Vitamins and minerals into the body. It is rich in Vit-A, C, E, B1, B2, B3, B6, B12 and folic acid and minerals like calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, selenium and potassium. It helps in proper growth.
- It helps in relieving from stress because of its adaptogen property.
The health and beauty benefits of aloe vera are endless and the pure aloe vera juice has no side effects but its leaf contains a laxative which has some side effects if taken in high doses like-
- It can cause gastrointestinal discomfort like stomach pain and cramps, diarrhoea.
- It is unsafe for pregnant and lactating mother as it worsens intestinal problems.
- Long time use of its latex aggravates kidney, liver and gall bladder problems.
- Aloe vera reduces blood sugar so diabetic should monitor their blood sugar regularly if they are using aloe vera for other remedies.
Though, there are some side effects aloe vera is a very effective disinfectant, anti-biotic, anti-microbial, germicidal, anti-bacterial, anti-septic, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties and this is enough for using aloe vera cautiously in the small amount.