10 Ways To Eliminate Bloating
There are times when you feel your stomach is too full, have you eaten much? No. Some days you feel like your pants are a bit tight, have you gained weight? No. Your face looks puffy or swollen, what is this? Well, these are the symptoms of bloating! You are not alone, this is a very common digestive problem, and the culprit is gas. It happens when excess gas builds up in the gastrointestinal tract, it normally is an effect of what you eat and swallow air while eating or drinking. Bloating that occurs just after a meal gets resolved quickly by burping or farting. But when the gas is trapped for a long time, it leads to pain, a feeling of pressure in the belly and swelling.
An increase in gas occurs when you eat food that produces gas; other causes may be digestive disorders, such as irritable bowel syndrome or celiac disease. You should see a doctor if the problem persists or leads to any other health issue. High fiber foods like beans, peas, fruits, and whole grains commonly cause gas, other than that carbonated beverages like soda and beer, sugar substitutes or artificial sweeteners also contributes to an increase in gas.
There are many home remedies to reduce or eliminate bloating; here are some simple ten ways to get rid of that bloated belly-
1. Start Your Day With Lemon Water
Lemons are a natural diuretic and a gentle laxative when added to warm water, consumption of this combination will reduce the salt retained in the body and so eliminating bloating. Take a glass of warm water and add some lime juice to it. Drink it every morning. You can also add lime juice in your juices, smoothies, and soup.
2. Foods To Consume
Major sources of gas are the foods we eat. Here are some foods you must consume if you are feeling bloated –
- Celery and fennel – These two veggies act as diuretics and helps to flush out excess water you are retaining.
- Asparagus – It consists of certain compounds that act like probiotics, which aid in digestion.
- Ginger – It has some anti-spasmodic qualities and de-bloating properties.
- Yogurt – This gives you a dose of some beneficial bacteria that keeps your digestion efficient
- Papaya – This fruit has an enzyme called papain, which helps in the breakdown of protein in digestion.
- Pineapple – The tropical fruit contains bromelain that regulates digestion.
3. Be Active
For efficient bowel movements, it is important to be physically active. You can go for a walk in the morning for 15-20 minutes every day. If you are fond of yoga, then do some easy poses (like a child’s pose and happy baby pose) that will promote the removal of excess gas from your body.
You can also plan out a workout routine with moderate exercises for 30 minutes daily.
4. Avoid Carbonated Drinks
Fizzy and carbonated drinks like soda and cold drinks contain gas that buildup in the stomach. The carbon dioxide that makes it fizzy leads to bubbling and bloating in the stomach. Also, it contains artificial sweeteners that cause bloating. Avoid drinking such drinks and replace them with water or natural juices.
5. Foods To Avoid
It is important to be aware of the foods that cause bloating, avoiding or limiting them will help a lot in preventing bloating. Some of them are –
- Beans – They have a lot of fiber and sugars that are difficult for the body to digest.
- Wheat – It contains a protein called gluten, which causes diarrhea, gas, stomach pain and bloating.
- Onions and garlic – These contain a soluble fiber called fructans that produces gas.
- Cruciferous vegetables —These include cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, Brussels, sprouts, garden cress, and many others.
- Dairy products – people who have a condition called lactose intolerance should avoid milk products. Their bodies are unable to break down sugar in milk products, which causes bloating.
Also Read: Correct Your Bowel Syndrome By Daily Foods
6. Limit Alcohol Consumption
It is an inflammatory substance that may cause inflammation of the gastrointestinal lining. Beer is most likely to cause bloating because it is a carbonated beverage. You can pick wine instead which causes less gas. Moreover, Alcohol can dehydrate you, which tells your body to hang onto water and that leads to bloating making you look puffier. Limit your alcohol intake; try to avoid it.
7. Peppermint Capsules And Tea
Peppermint oil capsules are readily available in the market and are usually made for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) but it can also help relieve bloating.
You can also drink peppermint tea. Peppermint relaxes the intestinal muscles, which allows gas to move along more effectively.
8. Change Your Eating Habits
Some minor changes in your lifestyle can prove to be very much effective. Try to eat slowly and don’t be in a hurry while eating. Don’t eat too much at a time, you can eat in intervals. Take your dinner early; don’t make it late as it will lead to a buildup of excess gas in your intestines.
9. Abdominal Massage
Massaging the abdomen along the GI tract helps to get the bowel moving. Place the hands just above the hip bone; rub it in a circular motion with right pressure up toward the left side of the rib cage.
Then rub straight across the upper belly area toward the right side of the ribcage. Move slowly down toward the left hip bone. Repeat it if u feel necessary.
10. Say Yes To Coffee
Whenever you have that morning latte, it makes you rush to the washroom, ever wondered why? This is because caffeine stimulates colonic muscle contractions that are similar to one when you eat a big heavy meal. So, whenever you feel like constipation or bloating just have a cup of coffee.
Also Read: Truths About Coffee
Mostly, bloating is due to minor issues like lifestyle changes and can be resolved using the above-mentioned tips. You can also take supplements like probiotics or digestive enzymes to encourage digestion. and prevent bloating. You should consult a doctor if it persists for a long time along with other issues like vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss, fever, severe abdominal pain or bright red blood in the stool. A doctor can give you the best advice and recommendation if the condition is serious.
Written By- Shrutika Joshi