All types of protein & their usage
All types of protein & their usage :
It is very difficult for all of us to eat a balanced diet with frequent meals to keep our body healthy. Protein supplements are helpful for completing our meals. These are the formula feed with a good taste which takes very less preparation time i.e. only mixing time or sometimes not even that if we choose bars or tablets. There are different types of protein supplements.
Proteins have many sources and its quality is determined by its high biological value (B.V) i.e. higher the B.V of protein, higher the lean muscle growth. There are mainly five types of protein sources.
- Whey Protein: It is easily digestible with good amino acid content and the highest B.V of 104. These are found in three forms.
- Whey Protein Isolates : Low fat and lactose containing protein. It is easier to digest and good for post work out nutrition. It is costly and tasteless.
- Whey Protein Concentrates: It is cheapest, low lactose containing protein powder, used to add flavors.
- Whey Protein Hydrolysate: It is a pre-digested protein and our body hydrolyzes the protein before being absorbed and used. It is an expensive protein.
Pros: It helps in increasing lean muscle growth without fat. It is good for health due to its good metabolism power. It also lowers blood pressure and a fight against H.I.V.
Cons: The main sugar is lactose and is not suitable for everyone to digest. It has many tasty flavors and many additives and chemicals are used to prepare.
- Casein or Milk Protein: It is a slow digesting milk protein and next to whey protein in B.V content 91.
Pros: It takes time for digestion and is a good choice for a bedtime snack.
Cons: It is a milk protein which is intolerant for some people and not good for post workout nutrition because it takes longer time for digestion. It is very costly and made of the artificial ingredient.
- Egg White Protein: These are very popular protein supplement after whey protein because of its good taste and low cost. It has a B.V of 100.
Pros: Egg proteins are vitamins and minerals rich healthy protein powder.
Cons: Not favorable for egg allergen persons.
- Beef Proteins: It is a non-dairy non-plant refined protein having B.V 80. It is a fat-free and cholesterol-free good natural source of creatine and BCAAS with varieties of flavors.
- Plant Proteins: There are many plant based proteins which are good for vegetarians.
- Soy Proteins: It consists of all amino acids with a B.V content of 74.
Pros: It boosts body’s immune power and bone health. It also reduces the chance of heart disease and certain cancers.
Cons: Now soy has genetically modified to produce in the larger quantity so it is now risky to use soy protein.
- Brown Rice Proteins: It is a good plant-based protein with B.V 59.
Pros: Good complex carbohydrate along with Vit-B and fibers. It is easily and properly digested.
Cons: It is deficient in few amino acids.
- Hemp Proteins: It is derived from the seeds of cannabis plant with a B.V value of 87.
Pros: It contains many essential fatty acids and easily digestible.
Cons: It is very costly because it requires huge quantity for harvesting.
- Pea Proteins: It is a popular option for vegetarian having B.V content 65.
Pros: It is easily digestible.
Cons: Deficient in amino acids and not a good option for the primary protein source.