Everybody wants to lose weight but due to the tight working schedule or some injury, it is difficult for them to join any gym or fitness training institute. Some people cannot do heavy intensity or complex exercises such as Deadlifting, Shoulder Press, Leg Press and many more. Thus in that case how they will lose weight and become fit and healthy. Have you ever heard of low-intensity cardio? And I think gentle or brisk walking, moderate cycling or swimming is not difficult for anyone. These exercises can be done easily by everyone with low endurance and did not require any extra stamina. This is actually a low endurance cardio workout which is known as LISS Cardio.
Today, in our health article we will discuss different aspects of LISS Cardio, exercises it includes, unexpected health benefits of it and it is beneficial for you are not.
What is LISS Cardio?
LISS is the short term used for Low-Intensity Steady State workout. It includes cardiovascular exercise in which includes aerobic activity at low to moderate energy for a constant period. But the time spent for this Low-intensity cardio workout is between 30- 60 minutes and your goal is to keep your heart rate around 50 to 60 % of your maximum heart rate which is known as the fat-burning zone. LISS is an important addition to your workout routine because it helps your body to metabolise fat.
The main advantage of this type of cardio is that there are so many options for you which means there are many activities which you can consider in the workout. By maintaining this low-intensity workout at a steady pace, it will help in controlling the fat loss, increased blood flow and improvement in overall endurance.
Activities Included in LISS Cardio
There are many types of activities which you can include in your workout schedule. In your LISS cardio, you can include any type of low stamina workout. Some of the low endurance activities which can be done at relaxed levels include:
- Brisk or gentle walking with the same speed.
- Jogging at a moderate pace.
- Go countryside hiking (it does not include mountain hiking).
- Try Elliptical, pedal briskly for 15 minutes in the front direction and 15 minutes in reverse direction.
- Swimming is the ultimate full-body workout if it is done at 25-30 minutes and it is the best example of LISS Cardio.
- Do Steady Cycling on the spin- bike at the gym or go for outdoor cycling.
- Recreational activities, such as skateboarding or surfing
- You can also try steady rowing.
Also Read: Top 8 Workouts At Home To Get Leaner
Unbelievable Benefits of LISS Cardio
LISS Cardio has many health benefits which include enhanced blood flow, decreased stress, lower risk of heart disease, and improved brain function. Some other health benefits of LISS Cardio are given below:
1) Low-intensity training improves your body’s ability to use fat as fuel rather than utilising glycogen which is stored in your muscles. Therefore, it helps in burning fat and weight maintenance.
2) Since LISS is easier to do and gentle for the body, thus it is suitable for beginners. Moderate to superior fitness institutions and training centres usually ask their members to include it as part of strength training.
3) Another crucial benefit LISS cardio is that it is safer to do and reduces the risk of injury and it provides easy recovery. As you are inserting less stress and pressure on your heart, joints especially the knee area and body, you can recover more quickly and easily from LISS. Now it is clear that LISS has the least potential to harm the body though it can be done numerous times a week.
4) If you want sufficient stamina then you should go for LISS Cardio. Exercising at lower power for a longer time embeds less pressure on your heart and lungs than a more-intense workout. This can be an efficient way to prepare yourself.
5) Another benefit is that you can use LISS to recover yourself after performing a high-intensity workout.
6) The last and the biggest advantage that LISS cardio has over other common workouts such as HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) and specialized training classes like CrossFit, is that it is easy to do and done free of cost. This type of exercise has become a lot more popular among women.
Is LISS Beneficial for Weight Loss?
Nowadays LISS cardio is introduced to most fitness routines because it’s generally safe and suited for all fitness levels. As you have read above the health benefits of LISS Cardio thus including LISS in your routine workout or performing only this Cardio is an efficient way to achieve your goal of losing body fat or controlling weight. It is a great way to increase overall energy outgo in a way that has no negative impact on the body.
Training at a lower intensity means that more oxygen is available to your body. As fat needs oxygen to be broken down, the more oxygen you can give your body, the more fat you may be able to burn. When you are jogging or sprinting, less oxygen is available meaning that your body will use other energy sources, such as carbohydrates, for energy.
Thus it considered best for fat and weight loss as it is clear now that gentle or brisk walking burns more fat per calorie compared to jogging and running.
Are There Any Shortcomings of LISS Cardio?
Yes like any other form of workout or exercise, LISS also has some shortcomings which are as follows:
- It demands longer cardio sessions which are 45 to 60 minutes long.
- As it demands longer session you may get bore by doing same type of activity regularly
- You may increase your risk of hidden injuries if you do the same type of workout frequently.
We are summing up our blog here but as you can see, LISS has many benefits apart from burning fat. So, it is a must that you should include LISS into your weekly life routine as it is not only good for your body, but it is good for your mind also.