Losing or Graying of Hair? Calcium Can Help You
The hair has a nature to lose its natural colour with age. But premature greying is not the accepted condition.
Cause of Premature Graying & Losing of Hair:
- Premature greying has been associated with heredity.
- It also associated with many autoimmune disorders like anaemia; thyroid, premature ageing, stress.
- Other environmental factors include ultraviolet light, weather, pollution, smoking, drugs, trace elements and nutritional deficiencies.
- Crash diet or eating disorder like anorexia nervosa (eating less), bulimia nervosa (eating lot) can also result in hair loss.
- Malnutrition also causes for hair loss & grey of hair.
The sebaceous gland of the scalp secretes an oily substance called sebum which is rich in nutrients & responsible for lustre & blackness of hair.
Diet is an important part to prevent the hair loss & premature greying of hair.
- Calcium, pantothenic acid (animal liver, fish, shellfish, chicken, egg yolk, milk, mushrooms, broccoli, and sweet potatoes) is good to prevent hair greying.
- Iron (spinach, liver, nuts, and whole grain) & vitamin B12 (meat, fish, eggs, and dairy products) have a good role in hair growth & pigmentation.
- Protein (meat, fish, egg, lentils, and nuts) are the very important nutrient for hair growth. Because hair is made up of protein.
- Zinc (meat, seafood, egg, whole grain, dairy products) deficiency also cause for hair fall.
- Intake more amount of sea foods & vegetables.
- Intake lot of vitamin C (citrus fruits, kiwi fruit, guava, berries, broccoli). Eat Indian gooseberry or amla which is good for hair growth & hair pigmentation.
- Lack of folic acid (dark leafy vegetables, spinach, lettuce, cauliflower) may responsible for white hair.
- Include omega 3 in the diet. ( fish oil, walnuts, flaxseed oil)
- Avoid smoking
- Intake lot of antioxidant rich foods.
- Adequate sleep is also an important factor along with diet.
Role of Calcium in Hair Growth & Hair Pigmentation:
- Calcium is important for hair treatment & for proper nourishment. But calcium alone is not able to prevent hair problems. But yes, calcium deficiency leads to hair loss. Milk & dairy products such as cheese, yogurt, paneer, and Ragi are the good source of calcium, should be included in the daily diet. Broccoli, sesame seeds are also a good source of calcium.
- Avoid eating coffee or caffeinated beverages, chocolate, soda, and alcohol. Because it blocks calcium absorption in our body.
- Cut sugar consumption. This includes artificial sugar also. Because too much sugar leads to insulin resistant. As a result, pancreas continuously secretes insulin, even at in an appropriate time. And too much insulin blocks the calcium absorption in our body.
- Phosphorous (milk & milk products, meat, lentils, nuts, whole grain), magnesium (whole grain, fish, fruits), vitamin C (citrus fruits, kiwi fruit, guava, berries, and broccoli) helps to absorb calcium in our body.
So, for healthy hair need to intake proper diet, like a lot of vegetables, nuts, milk & milk products, whole grain cereals, lentils, fish and fish oil & need mental relaxation.