TOP 10 FOODS FOR WINTER SEASON
Seasonal foods are fresh, inexpensive and also good for our health. The healthy winter foods which provide enough nutrients and protect us from winter sicknesses are as follows:
- Natural Yogurt: Yogurt is rich in probiotics (friendly bacteria), which improves our gut health. Probiotics restrict the entry of viruses via digestive tract and thus boosts our immune system. It also strengthens our bone and teeth due to its rich mineral sources. It also maintains healthy skin because of the presence of several vitamins.
- Garlic: Garlic is a spice used for adding flavor. One or two cloves of garlic help to fight against cold and also help in getting rid of unwanted bacteria due to its sulphuric, calcium and potassium content.
- Carrots: These are rich in beta-carotene which converts into Vit-A when enters into the body. Vit-A improves our immune system and lowers the risk of respiratory problems by protecting lungs. It also keeps our eyes and skin healthy. These are also rich in antioxidants like Vit-C, Cyanidins, and lutein and thus reduce the chance of certain cancers and cardiovascular disease.
- Cabbage, Cauliflower, and Broccoli: These cruciferous vegetables are the good source of Vit-C, K and a better substitute of starch. These improve our immune system. They contain anti-carcinogenic compound glucosinolates which prevent cancer. It also reduces the cholesterol level.
- Sweet Potatoes: These are rich in B-carotene, fiber, Vit-D and antioxidant like Vit-A, C. It is a low glycemic index food. It relieves us from stress, improves our heart and neural problems.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms are the natural source of Vit-D along with many essential nutrients such as selenium. It is low calorie and a good winter food. It protects us from cold and flu, destroys cancer cells and to regenerate nerves. It has an anti-aging effect. It is also good for Diabetic and cardiovascular patients.
- Green Peas: These are most demandable, high fiber,winter seasonal vegetable. It is a anti-aging vegetable. It helps to gain energy and improves our immune system, constipation and also lowers blood cholesterol.
- Eggs: These are the good source of protein which keeps our immune system well by producing antibodies which fight against infection. It is also rich in Vit-B, E, and K, A, D and minerals like Zinc, calcium, iron, potassium and selenium. So one egg/day is considerable in a balanced diet for a normal person.
- Citrus Fruits: Fresh citrus fruits like oranges, limes, lemons and gooseberry, grapefruits etc help in iron absorption. It contains flavonoids which act as antioxidants, increases HDL and lowers the LDL cholesterol, triglycerides. Citrus fruit also lowers the risk of Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s, diabetes, cholera, gingivitis, cataracts and Crohn’s disease.
- Honey: It is a natural source of energy with a good taste and keeps our body warm. It is also effective against the cough, asthma, high B.P, constipation, improves eyesight and purifies the blood. It is an inexpensive remedy of beauty treatment which is affected by winter.
- Turmeric: Turmeric fight against infection and inflammation. It detoxifies liver also. If taken with warm milk also keeps our body warm.
- Ginger: A cup of ginger tea keeps our body warm and also boosts our immune system and keeps our digestive system healthy. It is also used as a flavoring agent in vegetables and non-veg items.
- Salmon: It is a good source of Vit-D and Omega-3-fatty acid which regulates our immune system. If we are unable to sun exposure then including this provides enough Vit-D.
- Dry Fruits: Dry fruits are rich in vitamins, minerals, and fibers. It contains oils thus provides energy. These helps to recover from constipation, anemia, and sexual dysfunction. It is also helpful in gaining weight.
Winter brings sicknesses. So it is a time for improving immunity. We have to choose our foods carefully which boosts our immunity and also protects us from cold and infections. We should go for organic, pure and fresh foods.