Amla – The Wonder Berry!
Amla, otherwise called as Indian Gooseberry, is light green in colour and tastes sour. The Indian Gooseberry belongs to the Euphorbiaceae family. This fruit ripens in the autumn in wet, forested, hilly areas on the Indian subcontinent. In India it is considered a sacred tree. The fruit is very nourishing. Both dried and fresh fruits can be consumed for their health benefits.
Indian Gooseberry has also been found to be low in Saturated Fats, very good source of Dietary Fiber, and Vitamin C. Amla contains good amount of Calcium, Phosphorus, Iron, Carotene and Vitamin B Complex, making it good for health.
Health Benefits of Amla:
- The health benefits of Indian Gooseberry can be partially attributed to its high vitamin-C content.
- Amla enhances foodabsorption, thereby aiding in maximum absorption of nutrients in the body.
- Balances stomach acid, hence it is recommended to treat gastritis.
- Fortifies the liver by detoxifying it.
- Nourishes the brain and mental functioning
- Supports the heart. It strengthens the heart muscles, thereby aiding in uniform pumping of blood and the Vit C and Chromium prevents plague formation in the blood vessals.
- Strengthens the lungs
- Regulates elimination of free radicals
- Enhances fertility
- Helps the urinary system
- Increases skinhealth
- Promotes healthier hair
- Acts as a body coolant
- Flushes out toxins
- Increases vitality
- Strengthens eyes
- Improves muscle tone
- Acts as an antioxidant. Many health problems are caused by oxidative damage (when body cells use oxygen, they produce by-products called free radicals that can cause damage). Antioxidant agents prevent and repair these damages.
- Good hair tonic
- Improves eyesight, especially improves short sightedness and cataract
- Amla helps in absorption of Calcium
- Treats menstrual cramps
- Chromium content of amla makes it a drug for treating diabetes
- It helps in proper digestion and the fiber present facilitates bowel movements.
- It helps to treat diarrhoea and dysentry
- It is proved to improve appetite.
- Vitamin-C is a good antioxidant agent, which makes gooseberries a powerful tool against a variety of conditions, including various types of cancer.
It provides remedies for many diseases, so it is widely used in Ayurvedic treatment. So consuming amla is a great way to keep your body looking and feeling great!
Uma Maheshwari PS
Dietitian, Happy Living Diet Clinic
+91 99000 46344