Acid which builds up on our teeth produced from plaque causes tooth decay. Tooth decay further leads to dental caries if the plaque is allowed to build up further. It can cause either occasional or continuous sharp pain keeping us awake. If not treated, it can cause infection and finally tooth loss. There are many tips given by our grandma that can be followed to ease tooth decay pain. These are basically home remedies tried and tested by our grand mothers since ages. You can treat early stages of tooth decay as soon as possible by applying some of the following suggestions:
Remedies to reduce pain
• Keep the ice packs on the cheek having the tooth pain approximately for five minutes and the pain will decline gradually.
• Keep a half clove of garlic on the tooth area and try to bite it. It will burn like hell but keep for as long as you can. It will make the affected area numb.
• Gargle with a solution of hot water with two tablespoons of salt periodically. Pain gets reduced to much extent as it reduces swelling and also fights the bacteria causing infection.
• You can also make a solution by adding few drops of clove oil and one to two tablespoons of salt in hot but not boiling water. Do gargling with this solution and you will see the ease in pain.
• Brush with little salt and turmeric powder mixture twice a day. It relieves pain and stops further decay.
• Another way to ease tooth decay pain is oil pulling. It is swishing of organic sesame seed oil for 10 to 15 minutes.
• Salt and pepper have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. You can use them in equal amounts along with few drops of water. Apply the paste on the affected tooth for few minutes.
• Another useful remedy is chewing of guava leaves or raw spinach leaves. Its juice starts working on the affected area.
Prevention of tooth decay
It is better to follow some of the tips to prevent tooth decay and to ease the tooth decay pain:-
• Brush your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste.
• Avoid high sugar foods and sticky foods as longer the sugar remains in contact, more damage it causes to the teeth.
• Before bedtime don’t eat snack because food left overnight on the teeth may cause cavities.
• And lastly go to dentist once or twice a year for check-ups.