How to Increase Stamina
Stamina means strength and energy needed to perform some task. It not only means energy needed only for physical exercises, sports but also the mental strength required for work. Both types of stamina are enhanced with a healthy lifestyle.
- Balanced Diet: Food is the main source of energy to your body and a healthy balanced diet keeps your body fit and energised and improves your stamina.
- A low-fat diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, non-fat dairy with complex carbohydrates like whole grains is helpful in increasing stamina.
- Small and frequent meals throughout the day instead of one large and heavy meal.
- Fruits, salads, sprouts and nuts in between meals.
- Egg whites daily, chicken or fish as soups, stews once in a meal per day.
- Some foods which naturally improve stamina are green leafy veggies, oatmeal, bananas, peanut butter, carrots, beetroot juice, watercress, quinoa, eggplant, asparagus, pumpkin, lean meat, fish, chicken and egg etc.
- Plenty of Fluids for Proper Hydration: Water rehydrates the body and also increases stamina by reducing muscle fatigues. If the muscle tissue is deprived of water it interferes with your stamina. So always rehydrate yourself with plenty of water, home-made fruit juices, coconut water, buttermilk, glucose water, lime water etc. You can also choose some health drinks to replace your body’s electrolytes if you are engaged with extensive exercise but remember these health drinks are calorie-dense so they can increase your weight too.
Avoid caffeinated drinks like tea, coffee as they steal water from the body as well as decreases stamina in the long run.
- Sufficient Regular Exercises and Yoga: Physical exercise helps to boost your stamina for a long period. Regular moderate exercises like aerobics, running, cycling, swimming, dancing etc increases muscles efficiency which decreases fatigue level and thus increases stamina.
Choose the physical activity which you are able to perform and also which you enjoy so that it will not be a burden but a recreation for you that overcome your stress level and boosts your energy.
If you don’t have enough time for regular exercise lead an active life which needs a movement as staying and sitting longer in a place increases your tiredness level. Avoid driving, biking to nearby places go by walking. The more you move the more you increase your stamina.
Yogasanas helps to increase both mental and physical strength so if you are unable to perform the regular exercise you can also do yoga.
- Sufficient Rest: Plenty of rest i.e. proper sleep is also important like exercise to improve your stamina. As a proper night’s sleep refreshes you for a next day’s hard work. Inadequate sleep makes you lazy, tired and decreases your performance level. Minimum 7-8 hours of proper silent sleep is needed for a healthy life and improved stamina.
- Meditation: Meditation also keeps you stress-free, reduces anxiety and depression. Regular meditation builds up a good stamina.
- Avoid Bad Habits: Avoid drugs, alcohol and smoking which reduces your stamina.
- Inducing Mental Stamina: It is easy to get distracted if you are not focussed so on achieving your goal first of all you should be determined for performing any task. Avoid daydreaming, dwelling on imagination, obstacles but work hard and try to overcome all the troubles and reach your goal. Always be motivated and keep your stamina high and instead of doing high tasks at once do it in breaks which make your task easier. Give priority to important tasks first then rest one by one which surely helps to finish you work at the time and also provide you with the feeling of accomplishment to complete the harder work.
Gradually improve your brain power i.e. brain stamina by practising every day even the tough tasks and also by increasing your concentration and determination. Avoid distraction to improve stamina just be focussed on your goals.
Remember not to overdo the exercise as it will tear your muscles and don’t even oversleep as it can permanently induce your tiredness and fatigue instead of developing stamina.