FOODS CAN BE HELPFUL FOR PSYCHIATRIC PATIENTS
A few easy changes in our diet can enhance our brain function and also helps to overcome from symptoms like depression, anxiety and other mental problems because food has a direct impact on our mind and brain function.
The Foods which are helpful for the psychic development of a person are:
- Fatty Fishes: Tran’s fat and saturated fatty acids have negative effect on our brain but omega-3 fatty acids like DHA & EPA improves brain functioning and help to fight from Schizophrenia, Depression, Attention Deficit, Hyperactivity Disorder and Mental Problem because these essential fatty acids helps in production of neurotransmitter, dopamine and serotonin which enhances learning and memory.
- Whole Grains: These are the carbohydrates which provide glucose, the main source of energy for brain development. Simple carbohydrates raise blood sugar level rapidly thus lowers our mood but complex carbohydrates release slowly into the blood and a steady source of energy for a brain and are thus better than simple carbohydrates.
The Sources of Complex Carbohydrates are Whole Wheat and its product, oats, corns, brown rice, barley, beans, and soy.
- Lean Proteins: Proteins are the second most important source of energy after carbohydrates. Proteins induce the production of neurotransmitters and other chemicals which help the nervous system to communicate with other body parts.
Along with that proteins also contain an amino acid called Tryptophan which helps in influencing mood by producing neurotransmitter serotonin which is related to depression and anxiety.
The sources of lean protein are- Fish, skinless chicken, eggs, lentils, beans, nuts, seeds, soy foods and low or no-fat dairy products.
- Leafy green Vegetables: Leafy vegetables like spinach, turnip, mustard greens and broccoli contains folic acid which helps to overcome depression, fatigue, anxiety, and insomnia. Broccoli also contains selenium which improves the immune system and mental health.
- Fermented Foods (Yogurt): Yogurts are Probiotics rich which help in anxiety and stress reduction and it also improves healthy gut bacteria and a good gut has a good impact on brain functioning.
- Drink plenty of Water: Drink adequate water or fluids like green tea, fresh juices, coconut water, and lime water to combat from dehydration as dehydration is a major cause of fatigue, concentration problem, mood swings and anxiety.
- Avoid excess consumption of sugary drinks and caffeinated drinks as these spikes blood sugar level too quickly and thus causes anxiety disorders or mood swings.
- Avoid skipping meals as it leads to fatigue and clouding of consciousness.
- Avoid whole milk and its products, refined and sugary foods, empty calorie foods having a nutritional value which increases depression.
The Four Nutrients and their Sources which Boosts our Mind are-
- Selenium- It promotes recovery from depression, anxiety, and fatigue.
Sources- Chicken, onions, broccoli, seafood, walnut, brazil nuts and whole grains product.
- Folate: It is important for foetal brain development and it also lowers depression.
Sources- Leafy veg like spinach, kale, fish, eggs, nuts, beans and whole grains.
- Vit-D: Its deficiency leads to depression.
Sources- Sunlight, dietary sources- fatty fishes like salmon, tuna, and other, Vit-D fortified milk, orange juices.
- Omega-3-fatty acids: It acts as a mood inducer and antidepressant.
Sources- Oily fishes, walnuts, flax seeds and oils, olive oil, fresh basil and dark green leafy vegetables.
Nutritious food is a key enhancer of mental health. By including plenty of fruits and vegetables, juices, and soups and avoiding processed and packaged foods containing artificial additives which deteriorate our health we can support our brain development.